Horse Camp

Rough day today but turned out well. Stayed dry after getting in my tent in a downpour last night. Woke up, and skies we're cloudy. All bushes were wet, and they stayed that way most of the day. So I was thoroughly soaked. The sun slowly came out more and more but it wasn't fun to stop for long since it was a bit cold. There were wild blueberries so that helped. 

Loooong ascent up the Miette River, on brushy, overgrown horse trail, totally without views. Then at the top, the views were great, but the pass is a huge meadow/bog and mosquitos we're the worst I have ever experienced. Soooooo many. Could kill ~10 with one slap. Of course I was wearing long pants, long shirt, jacket, gloves, and a headnet, so they can really only penetrate one of my gloves, but sometimes they notice my pants don't totally go to my shoes so they swarm ankles, and all the covering can get hot, and the net makes it harder to see the trail, especially in direct sunlight. Fun to sit and let them swarm and try and fail, but it gets old.

At the pass the views were much nicer, so I had a pleasant last couple hours (mosqies mostly went away after the sun went behind the mountains) and covered 38km or so. 

40 to go to the turnoff for Robson VC. A bridge is out so there's a glacial ford. May have to hit it in early AM, luckily that might sync with my schedule for day after tomorrow. We'll see what it's like if I get there tomorrow evening.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Adze Picket Co. (I Love the PCT)

The 50th Year of Trying to Hold the Western States Endurance Run

Hardrock 34:42