Cataract Pass

Wow. Slow day and a half. Slept late this morning (wind and rain kept waking me up) and then had a slow go of it, not even making 35km today. But I did hit the highest point on the trail, as well as two of the other top four, or something like that, so maybe there's a reason for it. 

Saw two groups of bighorn up at the passes, one was 14+ head! I had never heard of a herd that large.

Passed a friendly couple southbounding a section of the trail with their two school age kids. Impressive, since this trail is savage. A friend who did the trail last year said it was probably like the CDT was 10 years ago (I did the CDT 11 years ago). Nope, the GDT is harder! With the exception of snowshoeing through the San Juans in early June, the GDT is harder.

Ok, maybe I'll have to think about that. But I don't remember so many totally unmaintained, or just totally trailess sections. And there's more moisture here, so bushwhacking means very dense undergrowth if you're below treeline. But the views are great!

Will have to do some calorie counting to make sure I ration between here and Jasper. But I hit the park boundary in 2k, so trail will be maintained better, and I can cover more ground.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Adze Picket Co. (I Love the PCT)

The 50th Year of Trying to Hold the Western States Endurance Run

Hardrock 34:42