F*@# Cold Water

Well, that actually wasn't that bad. Only because there was the broken remnants of a washed out bridge plus a tiny tree, so I barely got my feet wet, but holy cow that water was cold. My feet were in pain so I put on two layers of dry wool socks then put my feet in baggies (stuff sacks, actually) before putting on my shoes. What am I going to do in Alaska, where this will happen every twelve minutes? I have tried both neoprene socks and "waterproof" Seal Skinz socks before without much success. I was never convinced the SS were actually waterproof, as I could dump buckets of water out of them. Feet sweat a lot, but that much? Of court both of those are packed in storage so I'll have to order new ones. (And my sleeping bag, and trekking poles since a rat ate half the cork grip to one of my poles one night. And a PFD; still need a PFD to go with the raft.)

Also, does any hiker friend have a SPOT (gen3+), InReach, PLB, or satphone they're not using for August to mid September? I have a friend's SPOT gen 2 with me right now, but this thing is *definitely* not working anymore. It transmitted fine the first week or two, but quit. It's not the batteries, I changed them and still nothing.

Ok well I'm off to the Seskatchewan Crossing (on a bridge, I assume) there will certainly be some nasty schwacking and maybe Ford's between here and there.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Adze Picket Co. (I Love the PCT)

The 50th Year of Trying to Hold the Western States Endurance Run