Mouth of Skilak Lake

Woke to the sound of boats and fishermen. Well, that was after I woke several times to shooting pains in my shoulder from trying to use my PFD as a sleeping pad. The fog on the river was beautiful, but too cold for me to get up. So I slept in a little more, packed up, and paddled. The river wasn't tight yet, I apparently hadn't passed Jims Landing yet. Once I did, the fun started. The rapids were really a blast. I was comforted to know that the fishing boats run them, sincd then there were bound to be a bunch of people around in case I got in trouble. No worries, all went great and the rapids were over too quick. Then I had a slow, laborious paddle of Skilak Lake. So slow. I almosy asked the passing fishing boats for a tow, but instead I just hitched from Upper Skilak Campground to Lower Skilak Campground, skipping six miles (and as many hours?) of paddling. Got back in and paddled a quick mile (no headwind! Setting sun and jumping fish and loons) to where the lake becomes a river again.

Saw a camp chair sitting on a point, thought I was obligated to camped there, so that's what I'm doing. More river tomorrow! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Adze Picket Co. (I Love the PCT)

The 50th Year of Trying to Hold the Western States Endurance Run