Kenai Lake

Did I mention there was a fun bluegrass band in town and that Hope is really cute? I camped at the bar campground which is right on the water, Turnagain Arm. In the AM I took my time getting a breakfast burrito, reading more of East of Eden, and addressing some postcards. Some young local hikers I met gave me a ride to the Post office and I picked up my raft and some food. Luckily I'd actually sent myself a decent amount of food, so I didn't have to hitch to a grocery store. Instead I hitched to whichever of Cooper Landing or Primrose, and thus whichever end of Kenai Lake I could get a ride to. Primrose was the winner. I wanted to paddle some of Kenai Lake first since it's flat water, and I figured I could get a day or two in to test out my new drysuit, which I just picked up at REI in Anchorage the other day. Unfortunately the wind was against me all day, but other than that everything worked out great. I probably didn't start paddling until 2:00, but that's OK. It took me a bit to figure out what clothes to wear under the drysuit (pants and rain pants, keeping tights totally dry for sleeping, plus regular warm layers on top: long johns, fleece, and button up shirt. I sent my windbreaker home--really wanted to cut some ounces now that I have the drysuit). Thanks to the guy at REI I know to 'burp' the suit, which totally works. I got a little nauseous at first, as am I prone to on rocky flat water, but things calmed down, and though I was moving slower than I'd like, I hit the second of only two obvious good camp spots around 8:00. Set up camp and gave my drysuit a swim test, and it passed. Marvelous! Nothing got wet that isn't supposed to. (My hands are outside the suit.)

Tomorrow should be a lot more lake paddling. Part of the lake may be restricted, but I'm not sure. If so, there's a road I can pull out on, I think. The one campsite on the other side of the lake I think has a large group retreat going on, but I should be past there and hopefully close to Cooper Landing anyway. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Adze Picket Co. (I Love the PCT)

The 50th Year of Trying to Hold the Western States Endurance Run

Hardrock 34:42