Fairbanks

I made it to Fairbanks. The question is whether, or when, I'll make it out. 

Saturday: run Canadian Death Race. Got all worried about my crew being dead in a car accident, when of course they just left a few hours late, etc. and weren't able to find me at aid stations. Race was mediocre other than that. Some awful (boring road, nothing substantive food-wise at aid stations), some great (super steep and muddy sections).

Sunday: drive the Icefields Parkway to get Amy a taste of the Canadian Rockies and back to Edmonton.

Monday: find out my pack is too small, order replacement. Be dumb, try to renew drivers license online, even though you can't change address online, and I need to change address. Buy $600 (Canadian) worth of gear at MEC.

Tuesday: be dumb, break phone. Order replacement phone. Find friend in US to go into my email and click a freaking link, since Internet can tell I'm in Canada (and Berkeley VPN no longer works) and link doesn't work in Canada.

Wednesday: find out replacement pack hasn't shipped, cancel the whole thing. Print maps. Fly to Fairbanks.

Thursday: Buy $500 (US) worth of food, ship to Denali National Park PO and Rainy Pass Lodge (via Anchorage), prep food for start, and food for Black Rapids Lodge resupply.

Friday: Meet up with John (I have two adventure partners, John and Daisy), run his errands. Hopefully pick up my phone at FedEx in a bit? Scheduled to arrive by 4:30. It's in Fairbanks, I'm just hoping it gets to the FedEx Office I sent it to.

I'm sure I was just a stress case in Edmonton, but it was fun, though customer service did their best to disabuse me of the notion that Canadians are courteous. At both MEC (surprising) and the vegan bar (not surprising). Hopefully we'll head to Tok as soon as I can get my phone and get it loaded with apps and maps. 
Schedule:
Tok--today
Richardson Monument ~100 miles
Cantwell/Denali ~120 miles
Wonder Lake cache at end of Denali road ~100 miles
Rainy Pass Lodge ~170 miles
Finish at Port Alsworth on Lake Clark if we're kicking butt, paddle out via the Happy River if not, or fly to Anchorage if really not. ~170 miles

Since my phone broke, I haven't been able to call anyone, or check e-mail (even though I turned two-factor authentication off!) 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Adze Picket Co. (I Love the PCT)

The 50th Year of Trying to Hold the Western States Endurance Run

Hardrock 34:42