September 17: Hanksville, Butler Wash

Resupplied in Hanksville today. We had a wager about how long it would take us to get a ride. Nano said 53 minutes, I said an hour 45. It took 3 minutes. And we rode in the bed of the truck, so no COVID worries. The Post Office was friendly, I sent home old maps and my pillow and tripod, which weren't pulling their weight, though only 3 oz each. The campground regestration office where we actually sent our food drops though, was unfortunately not open and didn't open until after noon. We showered, ate, used the Internet, and finally around 4 tried leaving town. We couldn't get a ride, so I struck up convos with employees at two businesses about potential new one-time business opportunities. The first thought I was a creepy weirdo and "but I work for the government! Here's my ID, you can Google me!" did not not assuage her concerns. The second interrupted me to say "you mean the Hayduke?" and gladly accepted. So $20 later we were back on trail. Made a few easy miles and camped.

It was a nice day off. I should have eaten more food, of course. 

Comments

  1. Way to go, G! Have that fun! Show 2020 who's boss!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Adze Picket Co. (I Love the PCT)

The 50th Year of Trying to Hold the Western States Endurance Run

Hardrock 34:42