Sep 19: Tarantula Mesa, Swap Canyon

Hard day. The first two cattle troughs we saw today were dry, so we were both out of water by the time we got to this measly pair of springs. At least in the second one Nano found an earthen blockage like a dam that created a pool to fill from. We had lunch there, and I packed water out, but I forgot to chug before leaving, stupidly. Four hot miles later was Swap Canyon, and the springs there were garbage. Really just the last remnant before it goes totally dry. I actually was able to fill a bottle, but it tastes really alkaline, so I can barely stomach it.

I'd say it wasn't quite as hot today, and there was wind, but it often felt like it was just sucking the moisture from my body. And the route felt very circuitous. It was traversing in and out around the head of all sorts of drainages to avoid going down any of them, but there still managed to be two descents on truly crappy dirty rock.

We descended Swap Canyon and made it into Capitol Reef National Park. The sunset was amazing, and I saw a tarantula. 

Mostly I just hope the Muley Tanks have water in 14 miles. Please please please. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Adze Picket Co. (I Love the PCT)

The 50th Year of Trying to Hold the Western States Endurance Run

Hardrock 34:42