Sep 20: Lower Muley Twist, Halls Creek

Started the morning with a climb up Burr Trail (road) switchbacks. Good views. Immediately descended into Lower Muley Twist, and the whole thing was spectacular. Huge vertical cliffs over it, and some overhanging cavern cutouts that were really fun to walk through. Like when I paddled under overhanging icebergs in Alaska, but probably less stupid. Finished the canyon around 1pm and made our way to the Muley Tanks, potholes that often hold water throughout the year. There are 6 or more of them up the slickrock face, and 2 or 3 had water, or rather, had tea. About a foot deep at the deepest and 6 or 8 feet around, covered in film, and full of bugs. I was really hoping for better, but at least it was cold, and my rear end hasn't exploded yet. I did remember to chug before leaving, so I barely needed water the rest of the day (only a few hours, but hot). Unfortunately one of my Platypus bladders sprung a leak so my capacity is reduced by a liter or so.

We branched off from the main route to do the Baker Stevens alternate. This avoids a lot of miles in the Escalante, which Nano and most people don't seem to like. The water on the alternate isn't as clearly listed, but should be OK. We may hit part of Lake Powell, but probably not, given the water level. We may also make it to Hole in the Rock Road the night after tomorrow. We may have a friend meet us there? We may try and cache water for the next section? Honestly, who knows. If it would just cool off 10 degrees everything should be fine.

Fall, you are welcome to arrive any time! (I am aware Fall technically begins tomorrow.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Adze Picket Co. (I Love the PCT)

The 50th Year of Trying to Hold the Western States Endurance Run

Hardrock 34:42