McGee Pass

Normally about now I'd be pulling up at the Tahoe National Forest campground and falling asleep in the back of my car before Euchre Bar Massacre, but I just wasn't ready for it. Since UTMB and non-UTMR I've had too little  motivation, and too many work trips and house projects. Once I got back to Reno from DC, I was too tired to go to SoCal with Amy and George last weekend, so I waited a week and planned a backpacking trip with Margo. I didn't leave Reno until noon and still tried to pick up a few things on my way south, and traffic was bad, so I didn't start until around 6pm. 

It's 8pm now, completely dark, and I have no intention of cooking tonight. My gear isn't dialed and that bothers me--pack seems too small, sleeping quilt too big, bummed a lighter off someone at the trailhead, I don't really like the tarp I brought, Margo won't stop licking my face, and her new dog bivy arrived literally minutes before I left this morning but she's being weird about it...

Did I mention it was gorgeous? Like I choked about how beautiful the aspens were at sunset.

The plan, such as it is, is Pioneer Basin. Twenty miles last Sunday was unfortunately too much for Margo, who was a little out of shape after five weeks without me. With two or three miles left she started plopping down on the grass in front yards that we ran by. She really didn't want to do any walks for at least two days and then started getting back to her spry self. We ran 8 on Thursday and she looked good. 

So maybe I should've just brought my larger backpack, and maybe I should have just brought the two-person tent since it will be dark for 12 hours. Whatever, it's fine. The weather will be gorgeous and if I bother to find a decent campsite before dark tomorrow,  I should be able to set up the tarp nicely and Margo should be tired enough to lay down rather than threatening to knock the stove over.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Adze Picket Co. (I Love the PCT)

Hardrock 34:42

Should I run UTMB?