Friday, June 03, 2011

Meh

As planned (sort of) I'm on the South Rim of the Grand Canyon right now. But I don't think I'm headed back down. I just wasn't feeling it. If I'm on trail I'd rather be running, and if I have a full backpack, I'd rather be doing x-country stuff, but I don't really know much about the canyon or routes to do much of that. The heat wasn't exactly fun, but it wasn't unbearable, it was just that the book I brought (Harvey Butchart's Grand Canyon Treks) is really lame. (I've only ever met three guidebooks I didn't hate.) I'd be fine with waiting out the heat of the day for hours in the shade of a big rock, but only if I had more to entertain myself than just picking my nose (which I do a lot of in this dry heat.) Did I mention that the Tonto trail (the main East-West route) is super monotonous? Prickly pears, I get it already!

OK, that's enough. I think I'm going to hitch back to my car, drive around to the North Rim, then up to Bryce and maybe run the Under the Rim trail there. We'll see.

1 comment:

  1. The Tonto is far more fun if you are delerious with heat stroke and can convince someone else to carry your pack. I'm just sayin.

    ReplyDelete