Book Review: Hitchens and Rand

I finished reading Christopher Hitchens' God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything. Eh. I guess it was OK. I think I liked it more than Dawkins' similar book and less than Harris', but I can't be certain that my opinions aren't dependent on the order in which I read them, there's less convincing to do and I've already heard a bunch of the arguments before. Just like Dawkins went into tangents on his area of expertise (evolution), Hitchens goes off on his (men of letters). I guess details from the lives of Jefferson, Paine, Descartes and others are more interesting to me than the minutia of evolution, but I also thought the writing jumped around more than necessary.

I also finished listening to Ayn Rand's The Fountainhead on tape. It was ridiculously simplistic. And by that I mean I think of it what David Cross thinks of Scott Stapp, the lead singer of crap-band Creed. (This opinion is best summarized by paraphrasing the hidden track on Cross' comedy album It's Not Funny. "Awful, evil, sellout, fraudulent, 10th grade suburban white girl bull----. I swear, that guy hangs out outside a junior high school girls locker room writing down poetry he overhears. 'What? I will take you higher? OK, good.' Simplistic pseudo-spiritual bull----.") Did I mention I met David Cross on the subway once? I think I'm going to read some older Russian novels next to make up for Rand.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Adze Picket Co. (I Love the PCT)

The 50th Year of Trying to Hold the Western States Endurance Run