Brooks Range Day Two

Woke up and crossed a cold river. Ascended, and ran into a couple out on a month long adventure. They'd just bagged a cool looking peak the day before, which instantly made Nano want to do it; I wanted to get a little more comfortable that our pace is sufficient first.

Anyway, crested one pass, then contoured a bit and there was a ton of snow that was totally, totally rotten. We were sinking up to our hips, sometimes I'd crawl on all fours to try and spread my weight out better. It was awful.

Finally we reached a creek coming out of another drainage, a huge cirque, and we had to climb up the opposite wall. There were two waterfalls that had relatively easy gravel to get there, but looked sketchy once you were at the waterfall. I suggested we do a little more snow, and go to the right of the rock wall directly above us. Part way up we realized the rock was two rock walls and there might be a chute between them that goes. Thank God there was. The rock on the chute was pure shit, but we were careful to stay together or be on different fall lines, so nobody's head got busted open.

I named the pass S#!π D!@/ @$$ Pass because it was so hard, but the views were gorgeous.

The descent was a fun slate slide at the very top, but got a little more mundane, and very boggy. We crossed to the east side of the river to avoid worse crossings downstream, but man the terrain was boggy so it quite possibly was the wrong call.

Finally found some dry ground and set up camp. Something like 17 miles, but a lot more vert than yesterday.

I was wearing my neoprene socks much of the day, and that did wonders for my ankle, which is still getting scratched by a dumb plastic piece of the shoe. And my stove just plain doesn't work, but Nano's works well so I think we're fine.
 
Crossing a god-awful snowfield

A beautiful morning

Gorgeous pass, but so hard we called it S---D---@$$ Pass

Camp Spot

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Adze Picket Co. (I Love the PCT)

Should I run UTMB?

Hardrock 34:42