2023 Black Canyon Double Results

As I mentioned in my previous post, I ran the 2023 Black Canyon 100K/60K double in February. Aravaipa doesn't have a webpage posting results for other doublers, so I figured I'd do the math myself. I copied the Ultrasignup results into spreadsheets and compared them. To my surprise, only 9 people finished the double (compared to 682 100K finishers and 323 60K finishers). I didn't check if anyone attempted to double but DNF'd both or either.

Here are the combined results in order of total finish time:

 

Ignore the 01jan1960 part--that's just an artifact of the programming. Ratio is the sum of the two Ultrasignup ranks (the winner's time divided by your time), and place is the sum of placements.

I was 7th place out of 9. Nothing spectacularly interesting seems to have happened across the two days, other than the second place guy day one finishing fourth day two and thus third overall. Basically I'd say people were consistent.

That goes to a point I was thinking about--running the double was not hard! 100 Miles is 161 Kilometers, so all the double is is a 100-miler where you get to sleep at night. None of the 9 finishers really tanked day two, so do they all agree with me in thinking that stage races are basically not that big a deal? Are we 9 a weirdly selected sample? If not, why are there so few of us?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Adze Picket Co. (I Love the PCT)

The 50th Year of Trying to Hold the Western States Endurance Run

Hardrock 34:42