Help Me Narrow It Down?

selfie in JTree

I'll recap 2021 soon, but what should I run in 2022? As per usual, I'd like to run about one race a month, but I don't mind stringing together back to back weekends if it makes for a nice vacation. I didn't get into States or Hardrock, and I don't have major hiking plans, since my usual hiking partner did get in. 

For the first time I'm thinking about a European race. Likely at most one trip to conserve PTO for a trip to Alaska sometime in the future, but I put a bunch of the UTMB World Series races on the list--they look gorgeous.

I'm assuming I'll be based in Southern California, but that depends on a lot.

Anybody have any thoughts?

Bold=already signed up, or just mandatory; *=Western States qualifier

Jan 23: Calico 30K/50K (about as local as a race gets) 

Feb 5: Sean O’Brien 100K*
Feb 13: Black Canyon 100K*

March: Barkley (waitlisted, very unlikely--2023 or 2024 more likely)

April 3: Cherry Blossom 10 Miler (Great time to be in Washington DC)

April 7-10: Istria 100M (Croatia. I know nothing about this, but isn't Croatia supposed to be beautiful?)

May 2-7: Cocodona 250 ($1395+ yikes!)
May 21: Bishop High Sierra 50M/100K (Did it a while back. Not too far away.)

June 3: San Diego 100 (Already full, waitlist opens Jan 1. I did this already, but it was a long time ago.)
June 24: Andorra 105K (Since Ronda del Cims is no more, I guess this is as close as it gets.)

July 7-10: Val D’Aran (Spain)
July 8-10: Trail Verbier Saint-Bernard (Switz)
July ~10: Bigfoot 73 (Friends say this is flipping gorgeous. This or Standhope seems most likely.)
July 10-11: Silverton Alpine Marathon & Kendall Mountain Run
July 15-17: Eiger Ultra Trail
July 22-24: Standhope 100 (ID--Course looks amazing, and gf and I have reason to go to ID. Anyone know anything about it?)
July: Desolate Peaks
July 30: Tushars (Did this before and loved it, now that Aravaipa is in charge, I might return.)

Aug 5-7: Dark Divide 100
Aug 20-21: Kodiak 100M (The most local race. I loved the 2021 100K. Would love the full loop.)
Aug 19-21: Wyoming Range 100 (Course looks amazing. Anyone know anything about it?)
Aug 22-28: UTMB (Jan 6-18 Lottery)

Sep 2-4: The Rut 50K (Sounds awesome but is traveling worth it for a 50K?)
Sep 8-11: Wildstrubel (Switz)
Sep 9-10, 2022: Superior 100* (January lottery--odds seem very unlikely.)
Sep 16-17: Run Rabbit Run 100* (filling up! Not a real strong desire unless nothing else works.)
Sep 9-18: Tor des Geants (Courmayeur, Italy–February lottery--currently my #1 September choice.)
Sep 17, 2022: Barkley Fall Classic (Already in, but refund policy is pretty good, I think.)

Oct 15: Euchre Bar Massacre (Tenth year. Mandatory.)

Nov 6: NYC Marathon (lottery mid January, unlikely)
Nov 7: Pinhoti 100*
Nov 7: Mountain Masochist (MMTR) 50 (Based on who shows up I want to be part of the club)
Nov 12: Revel Marathon Big Bear (5000' net drop road marathon. Local. Absurd, but maybe fun?)

Dec 3: OTHTC 50K (Pretty local)
Dec 12: Hellgate* (Sounds like solid Type II fun, but a lousy time to be back east.)

Comments

  1. We've been doing the shorter races at Standhope for a long time, but the 100 was always on our mind as the race picked up popularity. The logistics are very challenging, and we've been doing planning on it for three years now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome. It's looking more and more like I'll sign up.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Adze Picket Co. (I Love the PCT)

The 50th Year of Trying to Hold the Western States Endurance Run