Derailed

This year isn't starting off very well, neither for me as an Elizabeth Warren fan, nor for me as a runner. I strained my hamstring in the very race I wrote about in my last post where I laid out this year's plans. I rode my bike to and from the Al Lewis 10-miler, and felt fine, but then later that day when I was sitting on the couch, I felt much sorer than usual, and it hasn't gone away. I managed to do two big runs the following weekend: Saturday I ran the JFK 20K and then ran 13.5 miles home afterward. Sunday I ran the Waterfall 50K out on Massanutten with a two-mile shortcut in the middle of the race. I nearly shat myself and had to divert into the woods on the 20K, so my time wasn't going to be great regardless of injury, but I was only running 8:10-8:20 miles, and definitely still felt the muscle strain. Out on Massanutten I was OK jogging downhills and road sections, but flat sections were tough because Massanutten is so rocky that you have to lift your leg higher, and I feel pain every strong/fast/high stride.

Basically I can lollygag, but not run hard at all. My training has dropped off dramatically since then: weeks of 28, 23, and 21 miles, and that's typically including short walks. So not a lot of running! I went to a PT this week and he diagnosed the problem as something in my upper semitendinosus (the middle of the three hamstring muscles) and gave my some exercises to do. He's a running acquaintance and comes highly recommended, but his office is in Maryland, not Metro accessible, and I'm paying out of pocket, so I won't go back very often. More important is probably that I just do the exercises, which I have been doing every day, and I rigged a standing desk at work.

How long is this going to last? Right now it doesn't really mess with my walking or hiking very much, so I think I'll be fine for the Hayduke. Better be.

In other crummy news I didn't get picked in the Superior 100 lottery, so I have to decide on something else (Arkansas or Pinhoti). Maybe Arkansas because Pinhoti is just after the election when I may have used all my vacation up again doing GOTV stuff.

Ugh.

Comments

  1. sorry to hear about your hammy :/ If you can lollygag, that's something, and you should definitely be ok for the Hayduke! Hope you recover quickly

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Adze Picket Co. (I Love the PCT)

The 50th Year of Trying to Hold the Western States Endurance Run