Turkey Trot: Last Race of the Year

I've run my last race of the year: a 5-mile turkey trot in Alexandria, VA. I did as much speed work as I could in the twelve days between Richmond Marathon and the turkey trot (which is not much), but I finished in 32:16. I'm happy I went under 6:30 pace, but more importantly, MRB beat me. He warned me not to start too fast, and then I immediately went and started too fast! I just don't feel like waiting for the people who clearly shouldn't be near the start to slowly filter out--I'll go around the now, please and thank you. So he passed me after about 3/4 miles, but then I kept him in sight the whole way.

I felt like maybe I was gaining on him in the last mile straightaway, and then I definitely was gaining on him with about a quarter mile to go when our fellow high school friend was loudly cheering us on and enjoying the intense chase. But I was gassed, and there were too many turns around the school to really know where the finish line was, so he beat me by 10 seconds.

The end.

That's it for 2020. Sort of. I'm still planning on doing a 40-mile fat ass the weekend after Christmas, but I don't think that counts as a race. I already have over 2,400 miles for the year. I'll write more about that later, but I'm done racing for the year.

Here's what I did:
February--Hashawa Hills 50K
March--Shamrock Marathon
April--Cherry Blossom 10-miler
May--Farm Park Challenge, Massanutten 100M
June--Laurel Highlands 70.5M
July--High Lonesome 100M
August--Castle Peak 100K
October--Euchre Bar Massacre
November--Richmond Marathon, Turkey Trot

Not my highest volume of racing by any stretch. I did great on the road. My two hundred milers were pretty crummy, and my two hundred Ks were great. That gives me a lot to think about for next year.
 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Adze Picket Co. (I Love the PCT)

The 50th Year of Trying to Hold the Western States Endurance Run