Apparently I Never Wrote May or June Race Reports: Massanutten 100

After my disappointing performance at Farm Park, I didn't really have high hopes for Massanutten Mountain Trails100. It was going to be hot again, and the course is very rocky.

This rocky

And this rocky
So you basically have to look at the ground the whole time. And I feel like you're using your core a lot more, almost like you're squatting or in a wrestling stance, in a much different running form than usual, and it really wore me out. Also, my knee quit working at about mile 24.

Sucks
I blame my La Sportiva Akasha shoes, that have a high (12mm) heel drop that I'm no longer used to. The aid stations were well-stocked, so I was able to ice it and just walk. It was really hot (85, 90? Can't quite remember) and humid. I walked and walked, and it got dark, and I started losing my mind a bit, and I just wanted to lay down somewhere, anywhere, and sleep, but every time I sat down I found ticks, or another runner would pass me and ask me how I was doing, so I wasn't even going to get even a minute's rest.

On the positive side, I did see a bunch of these dirty, filthy orchids, and this big black rat snake.

you should be ashamed of yourself


keeps going

Finally, early the next morning I made it to an aid station around mile 78 or 80 that a friend of mine was running. He's a professional chef, so there was good food, and I told him to not let anyone talk to me for 10 minutes, so I actually got to sit down in peace and quiet for a few minutes. I didn't get to nap though, so I left the aid station before too long and did the next climb. Again I looked for a place to nap on top of the climb (Signal Knob--really good views) but it was too windy on the exposed vista, and then there were too many ants on the nice flat area nearby.

Other runners passed me, and I heard them talking about what it would take to finish. I better get my butt in gear. All night and all morning I'd been thinking I really need to finish this race so that I never have to come back. I started being able to run again, and finally there was a long gravel descent, a long stretch of flat gravel road, and the Terry Gross interview with Howard Stern was good (especially where they discuss Stern's interview with Stephen Colbert--I guess it's a pretty meta-interview), and I finished this awful, hard race in 34 hours, 0 minutes, and some change.

I mean, it felt awful, but it wasn't. It had reasonably good views, the aid stations and the volunteers were terrific, the camping at the start line the night before was fun, and VHTRC is good people. It was indeed very hot and humid, my knee didn't want to bend for half the day, and the majority of the course that isn't a fire road is quite rocky. I don't think I'll be running this one again any time soon, but I'd like to go back and volunteer.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Adze Picket Co. (I Love the PCT)

The 50th Year of Trying to Hold the Western States Endurance Run