The Plan

I accepted a job in DC starting mid-September. Gf accepted a job starting late June in Williamsburg, VA. Our stuff is in two Uhaul boxes, making its way across the country, where it will sit in storage for a few months.

Our lease is up Sunday. That night gf flies to Virginia. George is scheduled to fly to Richmond via Atlanta, but it looks like Atlanta is going to be too hot (>85*), in which case pets can't fly. So maybe I'll drive to SLC to put him on a flight to Dulles, or there's a redeye through Atlanta to Reagan that may be cool enough, or I could drive to LA and get him on a direct flight to Dulles. Do you want to pick him up in DC and watch him until Amy can come get him on a weekend? Somehow I also need to sell my truck. Do you want it? Please buy it. It won't do me any good in DC.

Once that is all taken care of, I'm going hiking! I was hoping to fly from Oakland to Missoula, Montana and walk from there into the Bob Marshall Wilderness. I didn't get to see the Chinese Wall when I hiked the CDT on 2007 because it was on fire. So I'll see that, then hike through Glacier, cross the border at Chief Mountain, and hike Canada's Great Divide Trail (GDT). Sadly, Waterton had a huge fire last year so trails will be closed all year, but it's probably still worth a hitch in to the main visitor area. Eventually I'll get on the real GDT and hike all the way to Kakwa Lake in Wilmore Wilderness. Then I will backtrack a tiny bit and walk out to Grand Cache, Alberta to run the Canadian Death Race Saturday August 4. Amy plans to meet me, having flown to visit friends in Edmonton.

I'll go to Edmonton, get the hiker stink off me, repack my gear, and fly to Fairbanks, Alaska. From there I'll catch a bus to Tok, and hike and packraft west traversing as much of the Alaska range as I can in five weeks.

I start work in DC September 17. It is my goal to arrive no earlier than the 15th, direct from Anchorage, Alaska, with my stuff still in storage, and no real place to live other than a temporary stay in my sister's converted garage. Anything earlier would be a waste of my fleeting youth.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Adze Picket Co. (I Love the PCT)

The 50th Year of Trying to Hold the Western States Endurance Run

Hardrock 34:42