Gear: Headlamps and Shoes

Shoes:
Recently I bought a couple pairs of Brooks Pure Grits (last year's model), but returned them. Instead I ordered my second pair of Altra Lone Peaks (last year's model). I wore them for miles 1-61 of the Bryce 100 and they felt good, but it was nice to switch to something a little beefier for the finish (a pair of Brooks Cascadia 6). I was worried I'd set off something in my knee, but they felt great. So I just ordered another pair of Cascadias, this time model 7. I also ordered a pair of New Balance MT110, solely because they were $40, and they have free shipping and free returns if I truly hate them.

So for right now, I'm pretty happy with my trail shoe situations. I'll start States in my new-ish Altras, then switch out to the Cascadias about halfway when the pounding is making the dogs bark.

Headlamps:
I stopped at the Las Vegas REI on the way to Bryce looking for a 200+ lumen headlamp with a rechargeable lithium battery. Nothing fit that bill, but the salesperson suggested I try the Black Diamond Revolt, a 110 lumen with NiMH rechargeable via USB AAA included. I used it for the race, but was underwhelmed. It claims 12 hours of battery power on the high setting, and I have no major dispute about that, I just want a light that is bright. One that makes me think "Good lord this light is bright! I better haul ass, because if I don't, I'm a total tool for carrying a light this powerful when a dinky little 2-LED Tikka that only cost $35 would do the job."

For training runs I carry my Light & Motion Urban 550, which is nearly perfect. It doesn't need a mounting bracket on my bike, and it fits perfectly in the palm of my hand for running. It only gets 1.5-3 hours of battery life, however, but it recharges via USB, so that's fine for bicycle commuting or moderate training runs. I just need something with more battery power for overnight races.

Suggestions?
I think my options are the Light & Motion Stella 300, the Petzl Nao, or the Petzl Ultra Rush. I'm leaning 1 or 3. The Nao is "reactive," meaning it adjusts brightness depending on the ambient lighting, which seems stupid, especially since I don't put my headlamp on until well later than most people.  I like the Stella because I could hold it in my hand--I'm not much of one for actually putting a headlamp on your head, despite the name. The angle of the light when I do that seems to destroy depth perception and even make me a little queasy after a while. Now, that's at 50-75 lumen. Would the same be true at 150-300? I've never tried that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Adze Picket Co. (I Love the PCT)

The 50th Year of Trying to Hold the Western States Endurance Run

Hardrock 34:42