- February 4, 2017 Rocky Racoon 100
- March 4, 2017 Way Too Cool 50k
- March 11, 2017 Marin Ultra Challenge 50-Miler
- April 1, 2017 Barkley Marathons
- Backup: April 1, 2017 Bone Tempest
- April 15, 2017 Lake Sonoma 50M (Dec 1-15 lottery)
- Backup: April 15, 2017 Grizzly Peak 50K
- May 14, 2017 Quicksilver 100K
- June 24, 2017 San Juan Solstice 50 (lottery Jan 15-22)
- July 14-16, 2017 Hardrock 100
- August 11-15, 2017 Bigfoot 200
- October 14(?), 2017 Euchre Bar Massacre
That's right. I got into Hardrock on my fifth application. To be exact I'm fourth on the waitlist, and the waitlist has never gone fewer than four spots, so I'm almost guaranteed entry. I'm pretty excited about that. And since I am unable to keep my big mouth shut and I'm supposed to be some sort of expert on research transparency and reproducibility, I will say regarding the lottery kerfuffle that running a lottery on a computer is exactly how you leave an audit trail. Write the code, put it on the Internet beforehand, hundreds of us will inspect it, then you livestream a few people rolling dice to set the seed for the psuedo-random number generator, or use atmospheric variation from Random.org if that's not good enough for you. Cutting up strips of paper introduces a far greater possibility of human error, and if you're not livestreaming the whole paper-cutting and name-picking process, forget it.
Also, I keep making (lowball) offers on houses, I've got a few papers in the hopper, I plan to go on the job market again (contradicts point one, I know), and the world is going to Hell in a handbasket. So there's that.