Kakamega

I did a little exploring of Kakamega today. At first I was disappointed--it really seemed like more of the same. It's a bigger town than Busia but it seemed like there was no improved quality to any of the shops or roads or whatnot, just an increased number. Then I made it to the big grocery store Nakumatt, and my attitude improved once I reached their liquor section. No bourbon but decent scotch and a better selection of beer. Just a couple imports but the Nairobi-brewed Sierra amber, blonde, and porter that are supposed to be ok. Also, produce! Broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, cucumbers, pears, apples, and even cherries. I also scored soy milk, which I'll be eating with my swiss granola tomorrow morning before I get a ride with the new taxi driver I met today to Busia. I need to go there for a stupid work errand but mostly to pick up my motorcycle. M & K are getting back tomorrow, so the house will be more inhabited and I won't be the only one to deal with the landlord and all the fundis and stuff to make the place liveable.

My dogs got back yesterday. They like the place fine, but George can crawl under the fence, so if he sees me leaving, well then, he's coming with me. Him and Mack do a little barking with the same-compound neighbor dogs who are only let off leash at night, but it doesn't seem like it's going to be a problem.

The photo is of the nearest restaurant to my house. I hope the food is good so it can become the new Chauma.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Adze Picket Co. (I Love the PCT)

The 50th Year of Trying to Hold the Western States Endurance Run