Monday, June 14, 2010

Does the set of all sets which do not contain themselves contain itself?

Because if it does, then it doesn't, and if it doesn't, then it does. Or did I just blow your mind, Bertrand Russell style?

I just finished reading Logicomix: An Epic Search for Truth, the graphic novel by Apostolos Doxiadis and Christos Papdimitriou, and it was f---ing brilliant. It's about Bertrand Russell and his search for a logical basis for mathematics. Yes, it's a comic book about the history of math, philosophy, and logic. It reminds me of the epiphany-packed Journey through Genius.

Also, I read The Full Burn by Kevin Conley, about Hollywood stuntmen. I judge lots of entertainment by whether it makes me want to be that when I grow up/wish I had studied that in school. Logicomix definitely passes that test; I totally wish I'd taken Math History my last semester in college instead of Pop Culture. Burn didn't really make me want to be a stuntman, although it did make me google amazing stunt scenes from movies, and I did imagine pretty cool altercations between myself and a car while riding to school today.

Went to the A's/Giants game Saturday and got to meet the umps and go on the field during batting practice through a charity thing. Sunday I went kayaking in Richardson Bay. Lots of seals and house boats. Hopefully my pictures will turn out--the display is completely broken so I can't tell what I'm taking a picture of. Still hoping to track down a bike kayak trailer for this weekend.

1 comment:

  1. What about living in Richardson Bay? Could it be part of my plan to live on a houseboat for 3 months?

    ReplyDelete