Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Hmmph

Well, I visited Pooh the local trail angel and scored a ride to Reno on Thursday so I can catch the CREST bus to Lone Pine. (Greyhound would get me to Reno too, and cheaper, but not in time for the CREST.) It's still 100 miles from Lone Pine to Kennedy Meadows, so I'm kind of wishing that shoes, my bear can, and a bunch of food weren't already at KM, but oh well. Also, the maps I ordered from National Geographic haven't arrived (all 3 of the packages friends sent arrived perfectly, the one I ordered commercially got screwed up) but maybe they'll get here tomorrow. The local guy couldn't fix the check engine light, so I'm taking the truck to the dealership in Reno tomorrow morning, and hopefully they can fix it the same day. Otherwise my head will explode.

As for the hike, here's the plan. 50-75(?) miles from Kennedy Meadows to Road's End in King's Canyon via the PCT (with a slight deviation to go over Siberian Pass). Then the Sierra High Route 112 miles to Red's Meadow (where I'll send a package), 52 miles to Tuolumne Meadows (where I might resupply, but am not sending anything), and 33 miles to Mono Village at Twin Lakes (where I'll send a package). Then 120~ miles to Tramway Market in Kingsbury Grade via the Tahoe Yosemite Trail (I hope--this is the part for which I really need the Nat Geo maps to arrive for me to be able to do anything other than just the PCT), the PCT, and the Tahoe Rim Trail. Then 108 miles around the eastern side of Lake Tahoe on the Tahoe Rim Trail and then a tiny bit of the PCT to Roller Pass, where I'll drop into Truckee where the truck will be. In total maybe 450-500 miles. The SHR miles are 1/2 x-country and super gnarly, so 20 miles would a huge day. After that, I'll probably be doing 30 a day, so I'm guessing the whole thing will take about 3 weeks.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a fun trip, I'm very jealous. My check engine light has been on for years, I have a code reader, and have cleaned/replaced every possible thing it could be, so finally gave up. A bit of tape over the warning light proved to be the fix.

    ReplyDelete