The Plan, for Today at Least

I'm in Idyllwild. I climbed San Jacinto this morning. I came down to buy a San Bernardino NF map. I'm headed back up, across the freeway, and then will leave the PCT and do the coolest part of the San Gorgonio Wilderness-something a friend called "9 Peaks." Basically, I've done the PCT before, and my heart wasn't in it for a record attempt. I really like navigation and exploration and seeing new things. I'm kind of thinking about this: keep finding alternates as I head north on/near the PCT to Kennedy Meadows (anybody know of others after San Gorg?), then take the High Sierra Trail down to Cedar Grove, get a permit to do the Sierra High Route to Twin Lakes, take the Tahoe-Yosemite Trail to the Tahoe Rim Trail, go around the east side of Lake Tahoe, briefly get back on the PCT, but then take the Western States/American Discovery Trail west through Foresthill, Auburn, Sacto, and right on back to Berkeley. I don't know if I'll pull that off (I need maps, my larger pack, and my ice axe for the Sierra stuff, and I might be early for when I'd like to do the SHR) but I love making up my own route, and I love flying by the seat of my pants. I do wish I'd brought a radio though.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Adze Picket Co. (I Love the PCT)

The 50th Year of Trying to Hold the Western States Endurance Run