Nothing to Report

I haven't done any interesting lately, but I'll tell you all about it anyway.

I've been abnormally domestic of late. 3 loaves of banana bread, 3 loaves of honey whole wheat bread (first time I've used yeast in my life), two more batches of energy bars (same recipe as before, but I bake/dehydrate them now so they do better outside the fridge. Do not use tahini as the base, since it is gross. Using brown rice syrup as the base a la Clif Bars turns out good, but a lot stickier.) and I picked 7 pounds of blackberries and made one batch of freezer jam and cooked/canned another, first time I've ever canned anything.

Watched a lot of movies:
A Fistful of Dollars (None of the Dollars trilogy withstands the test of time)
Before the Devil Knows You're Dead (Extremely well acted, but unnecessarily non-linear, and there wasn't enough motivation for otherwise not-horrible people to all the sudden up and start a life of violent crime)
Gone Baby Gone (Very very good)
American Teen (Basically a documentary version of The Breakfast Club. It's really good, you squirm in your seat the whole time over the awkwardness of teenage life, and the artsy girl is really cool. Read this review. Go see it.)
American Gangster (Decent)

Did a little studying, too.

Comments

  1. She has a good name, too. Now I definitely want to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there!

    Just wondering if you had any other good receipies for out on the trail. I'm trying to conserve space and packing, but I'm sick of tuna in a bag. Got the book Lipsmackin' Vegetarian Backpackin' by Christine Conners. I like what I've tried in there so far.
    But I figured since you're quite the expert of on the trail living, you might have some tasty ideas. Or even some ideas on how to pack better..
    Anyway, I have been following your blog for a long while now. I too am an economics major, and am currently a data analyst. Oh! And thanks for all the great book reccommendations as well... good stuff! Well, have a great day!
    -Lisa:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmmm... Well, I haven't eaten good food on trail yet. My trail diet has been pretty horrible (snickers, pop-tarts, and bagels, or anything in bar form) and I only became a somewhat fancy eater in the real world after my CDT hike when I read Michael Pollan and realized I was probably giving myself diabetes. I really like the energy bars for which I posted the recipe a while back (search the blog for energy bars), and I think they're reasonably healthy, but I'm all about simple and fast on trail--usually I don't even carry a stove.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm...well nothing like quick glucose to race you up the path.. however, there is something to be said about solid carbs.. the good kind.. brown rice is about the best you can get.. hmm.. qell quinoa is probably better, but brown rice is a relatively easy staple to get..know what I do? Cook the rice at home.. then dehydrate it.. bag it up.. then when I want cereal, just add some almond milk, cinnamon, and fruit, and voila.. OR, mix bagged dehydrated veggies, spices, and some water, and makes a nice cold rice salad. also VERY VERY good in a tortilla like a burrito.. just some thoughts.. *L* and yes, I saw your recipie for the energy bars.. gotta love agave, yes?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Adze Picket Co. (I Love the PCT)

The 50th Year of Trying to Hold the Western States Endurance Run