I still pay for music. On occasion. Then I regret it.

In the past 6 months I've noticed that soundtracks are one of my best sources for discovering music that I like. Not all of it is new or anything, but I guess I haven't been diligent in listening to NPR's All Songs Considered anymore, so movies fill the void.

The top 5 most played songs in my iTunes library are Society--Eddie Vedder (Into the Wild), All I Want Is You--Barry Louis Polisar (Juno), Whole Wide World--Wreckless Eric (Stranger than Fiction), A New England--Billy Bragg (Half Nelson), and Mad World--Gary Jules (Donnie Darko).

And when I bought Weezer's Red Album this morning, I also picked up Substance, a Joy Division best-of, since I loved Love Will Tear Us Apart when I re-watched Donnie Darko last week. (As a side note, the Red Album sucks big dong. Just watch the Pork & Beans video twice and call it a day. Or to rub it in that I wasted a bunch of money, read this Pitchfork review. Then, since Pitchfork is annoying, read these fake reviews on Pitchfork making fun of Pitchfork by David Cross.)

OK, maybe I'm acting like a bad journalist (do you expect any less from my blog?) in pretending that since there's two of something it's a trend, since, upon further reflection I also remember really liking Coyotes--Don Edwards (Grizzly Man), the entire Cat Stevens Harold & Maude soundtrack, and the entire Garden State soundtrack from viewings a few years ago, but still, I think it's new that all of my most-listened to songs are from movies.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Adze Picket Co. (I Love the PCT)

The 50th Year of Trying to Hold the Western States Endurance Run

Hardrock 34:42