Rawlins, WY

Goodbye, CO! Hello, WY! The Mt. Zirkel Wilderness was awesome, I crossed the border, the Huston Park Wilderness was pretty lame, but then I saw a herd of ~300 elk, making it pretty dang cool. I started the big desert stretch and did a huge roadwalk. The road was part of the course in the Great Divide bike race, so I saw 7 of them go by, plus some very friendly motorists stopped to see what the heck I was doing (this road is really long and really empty through really empty terrain).

I'm feeling good. I got blisters on each pinky toe, so that kinda stinks, but I guess I feel OK. The terrain in CO was so rough I could rarely do more than 2 mph, but I was doing 4 on the road this morning into town, so it feels good to know that I still have it in me if the terrain isn't ridiculous. My pack feels a little too heavy, especially now that I have to haul lots of water again. Sometimes by 9:30 PM when I quit I'm stumbling around like a drunk and banging my feet on every rock, but I feel great every morning. I have started sleeping pretty well, not waking up every hour, but that means I sometimes don't get going until 7:30 or even 8, much later than I'd like. Seeing the bikers cruise by made me want to run, but I have to remind myself this hike is somewhere in the region of 5500-6100 miles long, so I've just got to do 28 miles a day, every day, slow and steady, and I'll make it.

Apparently there is a fabulous Thai restaurant with a AYCE lunch that is fabulous in town, that's where I'm headed now. Great Thai in Wyoming, whooda thunk it?

Comments

  1. hope you got some pics of the herd of elk...sounds pretty sweet.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Adze Picket Co. (I Love the PCT)

The 50th Year of Trying to Hold the Western States Endurance Run