Midnight Geekdom

I saw Watchmen at 12:01 Thursday night, which I guess was technically Friday. Why? Because that's when you see people dressed up like this.
It's getting pretty bad reviews, except for this Salon.com one. I really liked it, but I first read the graphic novel 15-20 years ago and a couple more times since then. I thought the movie was way too gory, which is especially disappointing since Zack Snyder can direct very good straight-up kung-fu fight scenes when he wants. It's probably a little long and slow for the average action-movie fan that doesn't know the story, but it's great if you're already a geek, already know the story, and think that deconstructing the superhero myth (Why do we normally assume people who put on a mask and fight crime would be wonderful people? Wouldn't they be just as messed up as the rest of us, if not worse? And if a Superman did exist, why would he care about the rest of us?) is a worthwhile endeavor.

A good statistics comic from xkcd. [via GGW]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Adze Picket Co. (I Love the PCT)

The 50th Year of Trying to Hold the Western States Endurance Run